ENGINE LOW IDLE ABNORMAL OPERATION
Low idle speed, below 650 rpm.
One bank not firing.
(2) Check inlet filter (watchdog) on fuel
injection pump (TM9-2910-212-34 & P).
Low-idle speed erratic (unsteady or surge).
a. Idle speed too low.
(1) Adjust idle speed (WP 0043, Throttle
b. Accelerator or throttle linkage loose, worn,
or cross-shaft shock spring defective.
(1) Inspect linkage (WP 0122, Throttle Control
and Manual Fuel Shutoff Replace/Repair).
(WP 0123 for 2DR)
c. One or more cylinders partially firing.
(Water or air in fuel system).
(1) Refer to WP 0020, Fuel System Abnormal
d. Injector nozzles defective.
(1) Remove and check nozzles (WP 0114, Fuel
Injector Nozzle Replace/Repair).
e. Fuel-injection pump governor defective.
(1) Replace defective fuel-injection pump
(WP 0115, Fuel Injection Pump Assembly
Fuel injection-pump improperly timed.
(1) Check timing (WP 0036, Injection Pump
Misfires at idle (usually accompanied by white exhaust smoke, oily or heavy carbon deposits
on exhaust grilles).
a. Engine operating at idle for extended period
during cold weather.
(1) Increase engine idle speed to 1000 - 1200
END OF WORK PACKAGE
WP 0009 00-2