COOLING SYSTEM DEFICIENCIES
THIS WORK PACKAGE COVERS:
Troubleshooting Table and Diagnostic Tests
General mechanic’s tool kit (item 121, WP 0176)
Track Vehicle Repairer (2) 63H10
Engine installed in vehicle.
Engine overheating (evidenced by high oil temperature, low oil pressure, and warning lights
a. Oil cooler screens and fins blocked with
(1) Clean screens and oil cooler finned air
Inspect for oil leaks and
avoid oil spillage.
b. Restricted cooling air inlets (blocked with
(1) Clean air inlets and grilles.
c. Oil level overfull.
(1) Refer to WP 0031, Engine Oil Replacement.
d. Seasonal grade of oil improper (too heavy)
for ambient temperature.
(1) Check oil in engine.
Drain and refill with
proper grade of oil (refer to pertinent
Vehicle Lubrication Order).
e. Cooling fan clutch slipping, fan drive failed,
or blades eroded.
(1) Check fan rotation and clutch torque
(WP 0045, Cooling Fan Clutch Slip Test).
Inspect fan blades (WP 0053, Cooling Fan
Repair as required.
Cooling shroud, baffle, deflector or plates
loose, cracked or broken.
(1) Inspect and repair as required.
g. Oil cooler thermostatic valve and/or bypass
(1) Remove valves and replace.
WP 0072, Oil Cooler Replacement (Engine
h. Engine over-powered due to improper fuel
(1) Replace fuel injection pump (WP 0115,
Fuel Injection Pump Assembly
WP 0017 00-1