ENGINE PERFORMANCE LOW
WP 0019 00-2
POWER VERIFICATION: Perform engine "stall" test as follows:
Engine speed 1800-1950 rpm.
Engine power is
Engine speed below 1800 rpm.
Power is below normal.
Repeat the preceding
step, but operate
engine for 30 seconds.
Engine speed above 1950 rpm.
slipping or fuel
injection pump is out of
(1) Investigate transmission clutches, brakes,
and vehicle suspension for being too tight.
Repair as required (refer to pertinent vehicle
If stall speed is normal (1800-1950 rpm),
low performance is vehicle related or
vehicle may be operating under severe
(2) Check vehicle performance on hard road;
and if performance is satisfactory, limit
vehicle operation under severe conditions to
short periods of operation.
damage may be prevented.
(1) Investigate for transmission slippage (refer
to vehicle technical manual).
If stall speed is above normal (more than
1950 rpm) low performance is transmission
related and engine is over-powered.
(2) Replace fuel injection pump (WP 0115,
Fuel Injection Pump Assembly
Low stall with both banks firing and normal smoke.
In-tank fuel pump inoperative.
(1) Check in-tank fuel pump operation (refer to
pertinent vehicle manual).
Throttle travel limited.
(1) Inspect accelerator and throttle linkages
(WP 0122, Throttle Control and Manual
Fuel Shutoff Replace/Repair).
Water contaminated fuel or improper fuel.
(1) Check fuel system for water content
(WP 0020, Fuel System Abnormal
Service as required (refer to
pertinent vehicle technical manual for
proper fuel specification).
Fuel filter restriction (dirty).
(1) Inspect fuel filters (refer to pertinent vehicle
Service filters as